Monday, October 15, 2007

OAMC

One of my passions is OAMC (Once a Month Cooking). You shop and chop one day and assemble recipes the next. Since the weather is cooling and my springtime OAMC is nearing the end of its offerings - I have been putting together the recipes for my next session. A common question I get is "Isn't it lots of casseroles?" - yes, it can be a lot of casseroles but NOT every meal is a casserole. Personally, I would rather feed my family a casserole every night if necessary, than go to say, McDonald's - at least I know the casserole is fresh!

Anyway, tonights dinner consists of Teriyaki Chicken, brown rice and broccoli.

Teriyaki Chicken - serves 4

1/2 cup soy sauce
1/2 cup sugar
1 1/2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
2 teaspoons oil
1 small garlic, minced
3/4 teaspoon ground ginger
1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts
1 cup rice
4 cups broccoli flowerets

Mix soy sauce, sugar, vinegar, oil, garlic and ginger to make marinade. Freeze chicken in marinade in 1 gallon Ziploc squeezing out as much air as possible. To serve, thaw chicken mixture. Pour chicken and marinade into a baking dish. Bake in a preheated 350° oven for 35 minutes. Serving ideas: rice and stir fry veggies or broccoli.

Anyway, it is a lot of work - but only for 2 days - and then all you do is take it out to thaw (preferably the night before) and it really frees up time every evening. Maybe I will post a new recipe every Monday - anyone interested? Or do you want some OAMC tips first to make things go a bit smoother? Oh, and you really don't need an auxillary freezer - your fridge freezer can accomodate meals too!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

YES! YES! YES! I would loooooooove to learn more about it. I actually had (maybe I still have?) a OAMC cookbook once but I never got started. How about teaching an Enrichment class? :)

Anonymous said...

I NEED this! Teach me please :)My life has just gotten busier as the kids get older and this sounds like it'd be great! And with me going to school, we are lucky to have even a PB&J on the table before I Leave :)

danakat said...

You know I'm super interested! Bring it on!

Lisa said...

Me toooooo!!!!