I am posting the recipe as I got it and will make notations about changes I make at the end.
Chicken Tortilla Bake - serves 8 - 10 - Uses 5 - 6 qt. crockpot
4 boneless, skinless chicken breast, cooked & cut into bite-sized pieces, reserving 1/4 cup broth
8 large flour tortillas, cut into 1/2 " x 2 " strips
2 medium onions, chopped
1 teaspoon oil
10 3/4 oz. chicken broth
10 3/4 oz. cream of mushroom soup
8 oz. mild green chilies, chopped
1 egg
1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
Pour reserved broth into crockpot sprayed with nonstick cooking spray. Scatter 1/2 the tortillas in bottom of crockpot. Mix remaining ingredients together, except remaining tortilla strips and cheese. Layer half chicken mixture into crockpot, followed by other half of the tortillas, followed by the rest of the chicken mixture. Cover, cook on low 4 - 6 hours, high 3 - 5 hours. Add cheese to the top during last 20 - 30 minutes of cooking. Uncover and allow to rest 15 minutes before serving.
* I use a 14 oz. can of chicken broth and since I use a can of chicken and kinda shred it through my fingers I just pour enough of the chicken broth into my crockpot to cover the bottom and follow the rest of the recipe as it is written.
* I also use dehydrated onion and just let it pull moisture from the chicken mixture.
* I only use 1/2 the chopped green chilies because Howard's belly can't handle more.
* Lastly, Drew and I like sliced black olives in this - Howard and Katie not so much - so I use a small can of sliced black olives and divide it between the layers and sprinkle it on top of the chicken mixture over just half of this casserole.
* I have successfully doubled this into my larger oval crockpot and know someone who makes this in her 3 - 4 qt. crockpot by creating 3 layers rather than 2 and it turns out great as well!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




3 comments:
Sounds SO good! I think I have all of the ingredients to make this on hand... and it's the perfect day to eat something warm out of the crock pot! Thanks!!
Sounds yummy, thanks for sharing! I'm always happy to find recipes that others recommend.
yum!
Post a Comment