Saturday, November 21, 2009

Family Tradition

When I was growing up the tradition was that every year you got a new Christmas ornament - it was such fun choosing from the available selection each year, heartbreaking when you could ONLY choose one and joyous to find the "prime" location for the new ornament to be front and center on the tree each season. There were a few years where ornaments were not purchased but made possibly at school, blue birds, campfire girls or FHA.

I wish I had photos of our Christmas tree from when I was younger but to say it was comical is being too simply stated. My brother and I would inevitably put OUR ornaments on our "side" and mom was good about letting us decorate the tree as we saw fit but it never went unnoticed that J's hotwheel ornament somehow invaded my "sanctuary" of treasures. When I left home - my ornaments came with me - as a remembrance of childhood joys and time spent with family, friends and places that I gladly recall as I look at each one whether they get placed on the tree or not - there are several that don't get put on the tree simply because they are "fragile" with age.

I have the same tradition with my kids and it has been interesting to see what has been chosen over the years - there are quite a few Eeyore/Winnie the Pooh ornaments as K's selections and Scooby Doo as D's selection but every now and again the kids surprise me with their choices - K who was still WAY into Eeyore chose a Harry Potter ornament the year the final book came out and D chose a bird series once stuck with it until the end.

But as I sit here writing - the artificial tree has just been put up, ready for its branches to be spread to all their glory in anticipation of the ornaments to come as we decorate it on Thanksgiving day, burnt out lights to be discovered and replaced, my English lace tree skirt spread beneath and the top looking a little lost and bare without the angel who still sits safely in her box and yet as I find myself a little melancholy....

I think about how much my children have grown over the years and those ornaments that bring back so many memories of Christmases past and am overcome by feelings and emotions. The thought that someday soon those ornaments that hold so many memories will be on the kids trees, in their homes, with their "new" families overwhelms me.

Will they hold the same memories of their childhood for them that I remember as is each one is unboxed and placed upon their tree?

While I will ALWAYS have the memory of sweet voices saying "Can I have this one, Mommy, please?" I will admit that as I sit looking at my bare tree, anxiously awaiting its adornment - I am dreading the thought of the bare spaces left behind when those chosen treasured ornaments go to their next "home" but anxiously awaiting the stories that I will get to hear as a grandma about why a particular ornament was chosen and get quite emotional at the thought that someday I will get to hear "Can I have this one, Grandma, please?" Because as we all know - Life moves on.

9 comments:

Quincy Sorensen said...

This pulls at my heartstrings. This is a wonderful tradition. When the time comes, you will re-invent yourself once again (maybe as a grandmother!).

Mandi said...

Such a sweet post. I'm sure your children will treasure the memories you are making with them long into the future.

hope said...

Shawn had the same tradition growing up. Since I did not, yet I had a few that were mine, we had a full tree the next Christmas after we recieved the container of treasures (which happened to be wrapped in an old popcorn tin). We decided to continue the tradition with our own children. Our tree is FULL each year, but I don't care. The different styles of decorating trees with simple ribbons and twigs, and such, I just love looking at mine with the unique ornaments filling the branches!!!

This has to be my favorite post of the year, Jenni!! And if it hurts too much to let them go... tell them you get to keep one from each collection!! ;)

Anonymous said...

Love this post.

And your new background is darling, too.

danakat said...

Just lovely.
And sweet and perfectly understood by another mom who feels as though the years pass by way too quickly.

Christmas memories are the best, aren't they?

Krazicat said...

:P silly mommy. getting all sentimental

shari said...

sweet post and I love your new blog look.

Natalie said...

Jenni, I have loved reading your blog this morning. What a thoughtful post. I love learning of others traditions and treasured memories. Have a wonderful Thanksgiving weekend. Thinking of you!

Wendyrful said...

We have that tradition in our family as well (basically). The three hs become soooo full with an ornament or two or more for each child for each year, plus the special one's for mom and dad as well... I loved your post. So tender and thoughtful... I'm not ready to go there yet! I don't want to let go of all those ornaments and say goodbye to the little child(ren) that once was in my home. Wow! good post!