Sunday, January 16, 2011

SNOW!

Oh my...  As wonderful as it was to have woken up to a white Christmas - this certainly did top the surprise scale!  You see the weathermen often spout of storms and spin tales of frightening weather conditions that have people wishing for basements (tornados!) or in the case of the last few days wishing they hadn't left their snow shovels and sleds behind (like we did when we moved to Alabama from Ohio!)  However, this time, all those crazies who scoured the store shelves for that last prized gallon of milk or that coveted last loaf of bread actually were right on the mark!

We woke up to find 8" - Yes, you read that right, I said 8" of snow blanketing our yard!



 
Since the weathermen we so sure this storm was coming, our school system canceled school for Monday, the 10th and so we had Katies friend Audrey Curtis over for the night  - which turned into several night lucky for us!  She is such a sweet girl!


 The girls played games on the Wii, watched movies, and of course played in the snow!



The dogs were quite fun too!  Sugar wanted nothing to do with the snow which resulted in this...


Bear however LOVED the snow which resulted in this....


A little bit later Joe & Tyler Brown came over and more snow play ensued with periods of warming themselves by the fire, drinking hot chocolate and enjoying some snow cream!  YUM!  Plans were made for more snow play but unfortunately that never happened :-( 


As it turned out the kids ended up being out of school all week since this area isn't prepared for this kind of weather and travel was pretty treacherous at times.  I think everyone is quite ready to be back to school on Tuesday!

Though Katie was elated with the snow she was also a bit bummed because she was supposed to start her job at Joann Fabric & Crafts on  the 10th but because of the weather she wasn't able to have her first work day until Thursday, the 13th.  She seems to really enjoy it so far - I will post a pic of her in her uniform soon!

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

SO glad to see you back on the blog. I've missed you.

Kim Mayfield said...

Fun pictures!

Truthfully, I am ready for the kids to get back to school... but me, not so much! ;)

Anonymous said...

A blog post! Love your commentary on the situation and I agree about the weatherman stuff. Love the pictures of the fun they all had. Your dogs are adorable too. That snow was a pleasant surprise, but I am over it now and glad to see a lot of it gone. :) Maybe next year we can have a little to keep the kids happy. :)

Charity said...

Glad you're back! And that snow was pretty crazy!

Karen said...

Oh my. I thought you went private. I am thrilled to see you and your family. The snow.....not so thrilling. A 10 day weekend is a little much. Glad to hear from you!!

Jessica M said...

Wow, your backyard really shows the inches well! Hope Drew is enjoying his new place, look forward to seeing your new "guest" room!

Quincy Sorensen said...

Good for Drew, but transition aren't any fun (especially for Mom!). Your snow pictures are beautiful. I'm glad Katie was out "playing" in it!

hope said...

I have to add you to my Bamma list again! I had no idea you posted again cause I haven't been checking much lately.

Wasn't the snow fun?? Looks like you all enjoyed as well!

Stacey said...

I love your snow pictures! I am still in shock that you guys got 8 inches! My kids were so bummed they missed it. Being stuck inside for a week I could do without, though.

Amy said...

That is a TON of snow! Crazy! It reminds me of when we were in Dallas last year and we got record snowfall. We had no snow gear, being from Az and thinking Dallas was a safe place to live for winter.