Friday, November 9, 2007

Did Ya Think I'd Fallen Off The Planet?

Okay, so I know it has been awhile since I posted and then finding that one loving friend gently prompted that I needed to get an update out *thanks Dana* :-) I'll save you the drama of my life by summing it up to... MIL, doctors appointments for MIL and myself (one of which ended with a minor surgical procedure for me), kids, cats & spouse!

With all that said - I thought today I would share some OAMC side dishes - it is easy enough to throw some chicken in the oven with some seasonings but then the next question is what to put with it when it is done!

Broccoli Cheesy Rice - serves 12

Note from Jenni - I usually divide the mixture between 2 ziploc and use an 8 x 8 pan instead of the 9 x 13.

1 small onion
1/2 cup butter or margarine
1 can cream of whatever soup
1/2 soup can of water
8 ounces Cheez Whiz (or similar cheese product - I use the cheddar sauce from Sam's)
1 1/4 C. quick cook rice
20 oz. broccoli florets, thawed

Assembly Directions: Sauté onion in butter in a skillet or saucepan until tender. Add soup and water. Turn heat to low. Heat jar of Cheez Whiz in the microwave without the lid for 30 seconds to make it easier to get out of the jar. Add Cheez Whiz to the saucepan or skillet. Stir to mix, until cheese is melted. Set aside to cool.

Freezing and Cooking Directions:
To Freeze: Freeze cheese mixture in a freezer bag. Keep broccoli in the freezer with the sauce mixture.
To Serve: Thaw bag of cheese sauce and bag of broccoli overnight in the refrigerator. Combine sauce, broccoli and rice in a large bowl, stirring until well mixed. Dump mixture into a 9x13 pan. Bake for 20 minutes at 325 degrees. Serve hot.

Cheesy Mashed Potatoes - serves 12

This will be a little watery after it thaws but bakes up great everytime!

3 - 3 1/2 pounds potatoes
1 small onion, finely chopped - I practically puree it in a food processor!
16 ounces sour cream - any type works fine
1/2 cup butter or margarine, melted
2 cups grated cheddar cheese
1 t. salt
1/2 t. pepper
1 cup grated cheddar cheese

Assembly Directions: Peel and cube potatoes. Put cubes in a saucepan. Fill pan with water until cubes are covered. Boil for 20 minutes. Drain water off. Put potato cubes in a large bowl and beat/mash with your mixer. After the potatoes are mashed, add the onion, sour cream and butter. Beat until well mixed. Add first amount of Cheddar cheese and mix again. Add salt and pepper and mix until all ingredients are evenly combined. Set aside to cool.

Freezing and Cooking Directions:
To Freeze: After mixture cools, scoop it into freezer bags. If you will serve it all at one meal, in a 9x13 pan, put it in a 1-gallon freezer bag. If you will serve it at two meals, put it into two 1-quart or two 1-gallon freezer bags. (The quart bags will be stuffed! But that’s what I use.) Freeze the remaining 1 C. Cheddar cheese in a freezer bag, if you’re serving it at one meal. Divide it into two 1/2 C. bags if you’ll be serving it at two meals. Seal, label and freeze.
To Serve: Thaw freezer bags of potato mixture and cheese overnight in the refrigerator. Put the potato mixture in a container, or double bag it, so it doesn’t leak. Butter a 9x13 (or 8x8) dish and pour the potato mixture in the dish. Top with remaining 1 C. (or 1/2 C.) cheese. Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes. An 8x8 dish may take less time… bake it until the cheese on top melts and the edges are bubbly.

Glazed Carrots - serves

1 lb carrots
1/2 cup orange juice
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 tablespoon butter
1 teaspoon dried dill
1/4 teaspoon salt


Combine in a freezer container and mix. Seal, removing as much air as possible. Freeze.
Defrost. Pour into small saucpan and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes or until your carrots are tender. Add cornstarch, stirring constantly. Simmer 2 minutes longer or until sauce thickens.

If cooking for small children or other picky eaters, leave out the dill and add a bit more sugar.

Hope you all enjoy these - Look for some soups on Monday! Have a great weekend!

2 comments:

danakat said...

Ooohh...these sound gooood.
I'll have to try them. B has gotten to be pretty good about trying most things. And I love having someone tell me how to portion this stuff out. You should hire yourself...
Thanks.

Anonymous said...

I've been wondering about you, too. I was going to call you last week but it got kind of crazy with the CARE project....glad all is well.