Friday, November 16, 2007

Chocolate Chip Cheese Ball

Okay, so I was surfing online yesterday and on one of the email lists I am on they were raving about this dessert cheese ball. Now, I am really not one for cheesecake but I have to say this is delish! So here is the recipe and at the bottom I will make some notes about the info in some of the reviews to help it all come together better!

Chocolate Chip Cheese Ball - makes roughly 2 cups

8 oz cream cheese, softened
1/2 cup butter, softened
3/4 cup powdered sugar
2 tablespoons brown sugar
1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
3/4 cup miniature semisweet chocolate chips
3/4 cup finely chopped pecans

In a medium bowl, beat together cream cheese and butter until smooth. Mix in powdered sugar, brown sugar and vanilla. Stir in chocolate chips. Cover, and chill in the refrigerator for 2 hours.
Shape chilled cream cheese mixture into a ball. Wrap with plastic, and chill in the refrigerator for 1 hour. Roll the cheese ball in finely chopped pecans before serving. Serve with graham cracker sticks - either honey graham, chocolate graham or both!

Okay, so that is the recipe as I got it in my email yesterday. It was reported to have come from www.allrecipes.com but there were some wording differences but I did go there and read a dozen or so of the reviews to see what others were saying.

The recipe calls for the ball to be rolled in finely chopped pecans but others were saying they rolled theirs in additional mini choc. chips (which is what I did!), crushed graham cracker crumbs, crushed oreos or crushed Heath bars.

There were reports that if you didn't use the full fat cream cheese or REAL butter that it would not form a ball and personally I think if that getting it into a ball isn't a big deal to you then by all means use the lower calorie substitutions and put it in a bowl and it will still be a big hit!

Now for the sad part - calories - as figured directly from the recipe (using a program called Mastercook to figure the calories) there is 100 calories in 1 tablespoonful! and that is not counting the graham crackers! I then went in and figured it using neufchatel cheese and light butter and making it that way has 80 calories but remember it won't set up firm enough to make a ball!

Anyway, this is delicious and I hope you all enjoy it as much as we are!

7 comments:

danakat said...

This is one delicious ball!!!
I think I am going to try it as a dip...might be fun!

Anonymous said...

I AM TOTALLY GOING TO MAKE THIS!!! Going to buy the ingredients tomorrow.

danakat said...

I'm thinking you should update.
And maybe post about the precious children you get to play with in nursery. :)

hope said...

I may sound like a total loser with this, but that doesn't sound appetizing. WHen I was pg with Skylah I lost most of my sense of chocolate taste. Any smell of chocolate or sweets made me gag. It may take a few years still to recover. I am finally anticipating the taste of Tamales after going through an ordeal with Ranoah's pregnancy! That took almost 6 years.

Lisa said...

Is that the YUMMY ball from the party?? YUM!!

kg said...

Thanks for the message about the suction cups, I think I will run and get some!!

Anonymous said...

I took this to my ornament party over the weekend and it was a HUGE, HUGE hit! Everyone LOVED it! I'm just sad that wasn't any left....
Missed you at church today. :(