I have had both feelings the past few days - let me explain -
Sadness-
I had been trying to get ahold of my aunt and uncle in CA for the past few days and then yesterday I got an email I had been had been hoping not to get - my aunt and uncle lost their home in the Sylmar, CA wildfire. They lived in the mobile home park that was virtually obliterated by the fires. They had only lived there for a year - ironic as it is they are staying with friends in the house across the street from the house they sold to move to the mobile home park - both houses on each side of their old house sustained extensive damage but their old house has none! They aren't sure what they are going to do at this point but I'm sure Doug & Jodene Finch would appreciate the added prayers on their behalf - they left home with only their 2dogs and one nights worth of clothing!
Happiness-
I got a call from my brother this morning - he and my sil are expecting a new baby - little Wyatt will be 1 in January and baby 2 is due in February. Anyhow, baby 2 is a healthy little BOY according to the ultrasound and though sil does have gestational diabetes again this pregnancy all is going well currently. She is considered high risk and they are having some problems getting command to understand she shouldn't move while pregnant, let alone fly being 8 months pregnant. Such a relief that all appears well after all they went through with Wyatt. I need to scan Wyatt's pictures and post them on here for you all to see the cutie!
Anyway, we have been having been having some REALLY yummy OAMC recipes the last week or so and I know I am behind a bit so here are 2 to make up for it!
Sloppy Joe Casserole - serves 6
8 oz. salad shell macaroni
1 packet sloppy joe mix
1 1/4 C. cooked ground beef (we used ground turkey)
8 oz. tomato sauce
6 oz. tomato paste
1 C. water
16 oz. cottage cheese
1 C. cheddar cheese, shredded
Cook macaroni half the recommended time; drain. Combine seasoning mix, cooked ground meat, tomato sauce, tomato paste and water. Spray a 2 1/2 qt. casserole or 8 x 8 inch square pan with nonstick cooking spray. Layer half macaroni, half cottage cheese and half meat sauce; repeat layers. Top with shredded cheddar. Wrap dish in foil, label and freeze or combine pasta and meat sauce and put into labelad ziploc and freeze and keep the cheeses on hand to layer the casserole just before baking.
To serve: Thaw, layer casserole if necessary and bake uncovered for 40 - 50 minutes at 350 degrees or place frozen casserole in oven and bake 1 hour and 20 minutes!
Ham & Potato Casserole - serves 8
2 pounds frozen hash brown cubes
1 can cream of celery soup
2 T. butter or margarine, melted
16 oz. sour cream
2 C. cubed ham
1/2 t. pepper
1/3 C. green onion, chopped
1 C. cheddar cheese, shredded
2 C. crushed cornflakes
1/4 C. butter or margarine, melted
Combine first 8 ingredients and mix well. Place mixture in 9 x 13 pan, two 8 x 8 pans or labeled 1 gal. freezer bag. Combine cornflake crumbs and butter or margarine. Sprinkle over top of pans or place in separate freezer bag. If I do the ziplocs I place the bags in a larger UNLABELED bag to create a "kit" to make sure the bags don't get separated in the freezer. I don't label the larger bag so that I can reuse it again for the next "kit" Cover casserole tightly with foil or freezer wrap. Seal bags well, squeezing out excess air. Label and freeze.
To serve: Thaw completely. If necessary sprinkle with cornflake topping. Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour. Frozen casserole may be baked for 1 1/2 hours at 350 degrees.
NOTE: this recipe says it will serve 8 but it really bakes down and I personally think a 9 x 13 really only serves 6 but that is purely my opionion - my advice is to try it once in a 9 x 13 and have lunch leftovers the next day! Also, I used fat free sour cream and low fat cheddar and omitted the 2 T. butter since I am trying to lose weight and every calorie counts!
Enjoy!
P.S. Dana - remind me to give you the Pumpkin Spice Hershey Kisses I have been saving for you! I have been carrying them in my purse and fighting the temptation to eat them!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




6 comments:
I am so very sorry about your relatives. A person's home is an extension of yourself. (But your recipes look DELICIOUS.)
I am sorry to here about your relatives losing their home. Dane's cousins are a mile away and are really hoping that the fires turn away! I am happy to here that your family is growing. New babies are so fun!
I am sorry to hear about your Aunt and uncle's. My husband has some family out in it as well. His Aunt was saying that ash is all over her car!
Glad that there's some good news though with your SIL! :) That's exciting!
Thanks for another recipe to try!
I have found there is balance in all things. Sometimes I have a hard time seeing the good with the bad, but in this case, that is very good. Our prayers are with your family.
I'll add my condolences in with the rest.
And my congratulations as well.
See you Saturday!
I am so sorry for your aunt and uncle. How devastating. We'll remember them in our prayers.
Post a Comment