Monday, July 27, 2009

Listen, listen...

We had an awesome time in Portland - while the weather was warm by their standards but WONDERFUL by ours! We laughed everytime someone commented that it was hot!

We got in late Thursday and hit the ground running Friday! Our first stop was Fabric Depot - LOVE IT! It was so hard not to get a yard of this and a yard of that but came home with only 1 1/2 yards of fabric for me, 3 yards for Katie (flannel giraffe print) and 1/2 yard of chalkboard fabric. We got done there and went and had lunch at Carl's Jr. - totally went off diet for this one - I HAD to have fried zucchini! Not sure why that in the "deep" south where fried foods are a staple that I can't find fried zucchini! After that we were trying to decide what to do, looked at our schedule and didn't have time to make it to Mt. Hood or the beach and make it back in time for dinner with my WONDERFULLY understanding aunt and uncle so we opted for the Oregon Zoo. Here is where the adventure begins!

Seems like the rest of Portland had decided to go to the zoo as well! So up and down the rows we went looking for a spot. Out of the corner of my eye I see this woman with her little boy and think "boy, does she ever look like Bekah!" and proceeded to say such to Howard - now a little back story - Bekah was a friend of ours when we lived in Ohio, they moved to Minnesota about a year before we moved here. Howard was like "sure, whatever" and we continued looking for parking AND crossing paths with this woman! So finally, I say to Howard "she just walked up to a van down there - go that way and I'm just gonna ask here her name - worse case she's gonna think me a wacko - we don't live here so what does it matter! So we pull up in front of her van, she has her back to us and I say "Excuse me, but could you tell me your name?" She says "Bek..." turns around, screams Jenni and lunges at the car! Needless to say - we never made it to the zoo. We went to their house and spent the next 8 hours catching up and I went to her GNI with her and another of her friends! This is my beautiful friend with her family -



From left to right - Hyrum, Nathan, Bekah, Aurora then the little guys are Spencer and Issac.

I am so glad we listened to the spirit and went ahead to the zoo instead of one of the myriad of other options available. I am also glad I listened to the prompting to just ask her name - our lives are once again blessed to be friends with these special friends we lost contact with so many years ago!


10 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a cool story! It's really amazing what a small world it is sometimes.

Natalie said...

Oh, I am so glad you had this experience, what a neat story. Sounds like you had a great time on your trip! So fun to reunite with old friends!!

Kim Mayfield said...

How fun!

Hope today goes smoothly for you at the "Bob"! Will you be there on Thursday? I will have to be back there again for Josh before I head over to LMS.

Anonymous said...

That is such a great story! Glad y'all had so much fun!

Karen said...

Now that is so cool! It's the best to hang with friends. I also had to chuckle about you and the heat. It too always cracks me up when others think they are "hot." Just come to the south.....

Quincy Sorensen said...

I am so glad you found your friend and was able to spend such quality time together!

Bama Holcomb Family said...

That is awesome!!! I love stories like that!!

Becki said...

How cool! Glad you guys had a good time. I love stories like that!

Wendyrful said...

that is soooo cool! what are the odds!?!?!?!

SnoWhite said...

What a great story, and fun trip!

Fried zucchini sounds delicious ;)

Thanks for leaving a comment -- I'm glad you and your daughter liked Julie and Julia.... I'm trying to get my hubby to go see it with me again :)