Friday, November 6, 2009

Potluck Recipe

Today I am going to a potluck and thought I would share the recipe since it is also one of our favorite once a month cooking (oamc) recipes!

Cheesy Chicken and Broccoli Casserole - serves 6

1 can cooked chicken, rinsed and drained
4 cups cooked broccoli
1 can cream of chicken soup (or any cream of ... we have tried several varieties)
3/4 cup mayonnaise
1 teaspoon lemon juice
1 teaspoon curry powder
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese (recipe called for 1/2 cup but we like more)
bread crumbs (plain is fine but we like Italian seasoned)

Combine soup, mayonnaise, lemon juice and curry powder. Spread broccoli in a greased 2 qt. baking dish. Evenly distribute chicken over broccoli and cover with soup mixture. Top with cheese. Sprinkle lightly with bread crumbs. Bake 45 - 60 minutes at 350 degrees or until heated throughout.

To make "kit": Combine chicken, soup, mayonnaise, lemon juice, curry powder and mix well. Spoon into qt. size Ziploc. Measure cheese and put into small ziploc. I use frozen broccoli so I will also measure this out into a ziploc as well. Label a gallon sized ziploc with recipe name and layering and baking directions . Place the smaller ziplocs into a gallon ziploc to create a "kit". You could also measure whatever amount of breadcrumbs you think you might like on top (I generally use bewteen 1/8 - 1/4 cup depending on my mood) and include this in your "kit".

When ready to use your "kit" - thaw it overnight in the refrigerator. Layer cooked broccoli, chicken/soup mixture, cheese and breadcrumbs. Bake for 45 - 60 minutes at 350 degrees or until hot throughout.

I know some of you will feel that using so many smaller baggies may be wasteful - however...

I label my broccoli, cheese and breadcrumb bags as well as my gallon bag for reuse - so I am ONLY throwing away the soup/chicken mixture bag. After I have put the recipe together I put the smaller bags back into the gallon bag and throw it back into the freezer. It helps me know what recipes my family has eaten and what recipes I need to make again when I start my next cooking session.

Hopefully this all makes sense but if you have any questions feel free to ask!

5 comments:

hope said...

Sounds yummy!! See you there!! (I am "testing" my dessert contribution right now... yumm!)

Quincy Sorensen said...

This reminds me of a recipe I got years ago from Alisha Mayfield. It looks delicious! I am glad you posted again.

Mandi said...

I also remember a similar one I got from Alisha. I love how you gave details on how to go about storing it until you are ready to make it! It is always so nice to have a dinner you can just throw in the oven... yum.

danakat said...

Hope it was a fun lunch! Obviously I didn't make it, but I still hope everyone put on a brave face and enjoyed themselves anyway. :) LOL

Lisa said...

yum!! I can't wait to try it!